We have a whole bunch of clients to change over to a new management server for Symantec EndPoint Protection version 12. The previous server was offline so no work could be done to allow changes.
- Symantec Support: Restoring communication to clients with a new Sylink.xml file
- Symantec Connect: Change of management server
Between the above articles we were able to piece together what we needed to do:
- Export a new Sylink.XML file from the new SEP Management server.
- Rename the exported XML file to Sylink.XML
- Stop SEP on the client we need to change.
- Copy the new Sylink.XML file over the existing file(s)
- Start SEP on the client.
- Open the client console.
- Click Help then Troubleshooting.
- The Management tab should reflect the new server’s IP as should the Connection Status tab.
Note that on Windows XP the Sylink.XML file is buried
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\…
We just saved ourselves a huge amount of time.
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book