We have an SBS 2008 Standard setup that’s getting really tight on the system drive.
We’ve pretty much moved everything and anything we can off of the system partition to keep space as free as possible.
One of the last pieces to be moved is the SEM5.db file that runs around 2GB or more.
To move that file we followed these instructions:
- Go to services.msc
- Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Service
- Stop the Symantec Embedded Database Service
- Go to \Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db and cut the sem5.db file and paste it to the new drive
- Click Start
- Click run
- Type regedit
- Go to HKey_Local_Machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASANYs\Parameters\ click on the Parameters option in the right hand side column and change the path of the sem5.db database file to the new location as New Drive:\Folder name
- NOTE: We were able to log on to the SEP Management Console once we had both services started at this point.
That freed up over 2GB of storage space which at this point for this particular SBS is _a lot_ of space to be had! :)
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book
Chef de partie in the SMBKitchen
Find out more at