Here is the content of an e-mail sent to a questioner that was indicating a couple of appliances to provide gateway services and spam filtering respectively:
We use ExchangeDefender to provide a number of e-mail related services to our clients:
- Reputation Protection: All outbound e-mail goes through ED’s servers eliminating any possible hang-up due to blacklisting of local ISP IP.
- Spam Protection: No need to publish internal Exchange server’s IP address via MX. MX points to ED’s servers thus eliminating a spammer technique of direct connecting to your server.
- Continuity: The LiveArchive feature provides up to a year (or more) of legitimate SSL secured access to e-mail.
- Continuity: LiveArchive allows for users to logon and reply to and send e-mail in the event of a server outage.
- Encryption: [Encrypt] tag or policy based encryption of outbound e-mail.
- Management: Can be done by us or the admin contact at the client site. The GUI is very easy to work with.
- Management: E-mail graphic reports for spam and legitimate e-mail.
- Management: Whitelist management via domain or e-mail address at the user and admin level.
- Management: Daily or Daily + Intraday reports for users to see just what is caught in the filters. Simple one click Release or Trust Sender.
For SMB clients, e-mail continuity has become _the_ most critical element to keeping their business alive.
Protecting that e-mail server by not allowing the ISP provided IP address to be published to the Internet along with restricting SMTP access to ExchangeDefender’s servers alone on the Internet gateway device go a long way to securing the server.
From there, the service is very easy to use for both administrators as well as our client’s users.
For us, ExchangeDefender is a part of our hybrid managed services offerings but is also offered standalone to our clients.
One thing to keep in mind when it comes to offering services such as hosted Exchange and Exchange Defender is that as we bring on more clients our bottom line gets a little boost. That revenue is the best type of revenue there is: _residual_!
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book