In the process of working on this Exchange 2007 database recovery we ran the eseutil /d defragment on one of the recovered databases.
The notes for the utility state that it should create the temp database in the same location as the database being worked on. Exchange and its databases were installed on a dedicated E:\ partition.
In this case it did not and we needed to run the following option:
- eseutil /d “E:\Exchange\Mailbox\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database.edb” /t “E:\TempDefrag.edb”
- Note the quotes around the path.
We ended up needing to figure out where eseutil dropped the temp database that filled up the system partition during the first run through.
A bit of tweaking in Search and we found it:
Both the RAW and EDB files were found in System32 under the %windir%. Note the size of the temp database at 23GB.
We removed the two temp files and re-ran the eseutil defragment process using the temporary file location designation and all was good.
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book