Thursday, 14 February 2008

Sage Accpac ERP - Version Mismatch Error - Refer to Solution ID 22331

A recent SBS Premium setup needed to have Sage Accpac ERP installed and configured with a SQL backend on the server.

This setup came after the fact.

The actual setup of the databases, connectivity, DSNs, and more will be in a separate post when we have a little more time.

For now, we had the following error on every workstation:

Sage Accpac ERP

Version mismatch. Two Microsoft support files (SQLSRV32.DLL and ODBCBCP.DLL) are different versions. Please refer to Solution ID 22331 for more information
A search for said Solution ID turned up nothing.

Since we were working with a SQL 2005 installed database, the thought was that something within Accpac was expecting an older SQL version, or some files were updated while others were not.

So, we searched the server and found the following files:
  • SQLSRV32.DLL = Version 2000.86.1830.0
  • ODBCBCP.DLL = Version 2000.86.1830.0
Since the versions on the server were seemingly the same, we moved onto the workstation and found the following:
  • SQLSRV32.DLL = Version 2000.85.1117.0
  • ODBCBCP.DLL = Not Found
We made sure to shut down Accpac, then we placed a copy of the SQLSRV32.DLL from the server on a network share.

Both files were found under %windir%\System32 on the server.

We copied the SQLSRV32.DLL off the share to the same %windir%\system32 location on the workstation after making sure Accpac was shut down properly.

We then tried to run Accpac and received the same Version Mismatch error.

So, we copied the ODBCBCP.DLL file off of the server to the same share location. We then copied the file from the share to the %windir%\System32 on the workstation.

We fired Accpac up again, logged on to the company file and we were connected successfully.

Here is a screen shot of what both the server and the workstation file compare after completing the file copy to the workstation:

Correct file versions on both the Server and Workstation

By the way, while searching for the solution, we came upon one so-called solution site promising a video of it. We were invited to install an ActiveX component before we could view the video though. We were not permitted to close the Tab that the site was in nor were we permitted to click the X to close the browser. That browser and its tabs could only be shutdown via the Task Manager and an End Task. As always, Internet "Street Smarts" are important!

Philip Elder
Microsoft Small Business Specialists

*All Mac on SBS posts are posted on our in-house iMac via the Safari Web browser.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to document this problem. I ran into this exact same problem in our environment today - even the same version numbers on the files. Your instructions got me past the issue and into Accpac. You saved me a great deal of time. Thank you again!