The newly released Intel Xeon Processor 5600 Series CPUs with up to 6 cores will need a refresh product code for the IMS compute modules.
Current MFS5520VI compute modules will require a firmware update to be compatible with the new CPUs.
- IMS: Intel Server Compute Module Overview
- Intel Xeon Processor 5000 Sequence Technical Documents
- PDF: Intel Xeon Processor 5600 Series Product Brief
- PDF: Intel Xeon Processor 5600 Series Specification Update March 2010
The technical documents link will have the most current version of the PDF files.
From the Overview page:
◊1 . . . Out of the box support for the Intel Xeon processor 5600 series will be indicated by the addition of the letter "R" at the end of the product order code. For boards and systems currently supporting the Intel Xeon processor 5500 series, a BIOS update is required before installing the 5600 series processors. Select the support tab above for more information.
Note that when it comes to the Intel Modular Server, we are currently at CMM firmware version 5.5. So, we should be seeing a firmware update in the next little while to allow the existing MFS5520VI compute modules to accept the new Intel Xeon Processor 5600 Series CPUs.
It is recommended that any new Intel Modular Server quotes and orders be placed using the new compute module product code.
Intel Modular Server documentation:
- IMS: Intel Compute Module MFS5520VI Support Page
- IMS: Product order codes and configuration guide
- IMS: Intel Compute Module MFS5520VI Technical Product Specification Page
The first link to the product support page should contain the more recent links to the various bits of information on the product once they change.
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book