It has been updated to include some new functionality as well as some available feature additions that can be installed during the various stages of the setup.
- Install the base OS to the primary OS drive formatted leaving 10 GB unused on the drive during setup. All other drives/partitions should be left untouched at this time.
- Stop the continuing setup after the reboot by cancelling it.
- In between Phase 1 and Phase 2: Install relevant drivers, format the partitions and drives.
- Install the following Windows Server Tools:
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 32-bit Support Tools
- Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Administration Tools Pack for x86 editions
- OPTION: Install Access Based Enumeration for greater folder security. Enable ABE by share as opposed to globally.
- OPTION: During the CEICW add the following attachment extensions to the Exchange exclusion list: .htm .html
- OPTION: Revise your user template Quotas as appropriate by right clicking your data drive --> Properties --> Quota --> Quota Entries and change the template volume.
- OPTION: Download and install .NET 2.0 in preparation for SyncToy.
- OPTION: Download and install the Microsoft copy utility: SyncToy 1.4.
- Obtain and apply the latest SQL Service Pack
- Obtain and/or apply the latest SQL 2005 Post SP2 Hotfix for the common SQLVDI Errors (if SP3 is not released yet)
- The CEICW will fail on the initial ISA install. ISA SP2 or later will fix that.
- Note that during the ISA CEICW one will need to recheck any extra settings at the Web Services Configuration step as it tends to pull them back.
- Make sure that the Create Certificate is also left at the setting it chooses.
- Under Advanced Management: MySBSDomain (Exchange) --> Administrative Groups --> first administrative group --> Servers --> MySBSServer -->First Storage Group --> Right click Mailbox Store (MySBSServer) and Properties --> Limits Tab.
- Note that WSUS v2 should be synchronized before installing WSUS v3.
- ISA SP3 to follow the RipCurl Patch for ISA
- This reduces the first visit to Companyweb browser stall in the morning.
- We remove a domain user's ability to remotely shutdown any system as one example.
- 2008-01-18: Added steps 4a, 4b, and 4c above to download and install the appropriate support tools.
- 2008-02-15: Added the step to implement Recipient Filtering in Exchange to avoid SMTP Queue Length errors and protect against a Reverse NDR Spam Attack.
- 2008-03-24: Added IE 7 for Server 2003 download link and install recommendation. Also added the link to SyncToy 1.4 to download and install.
- 2008-04-19: Added the need to apply a SQL 2005 post SP2 Hotfix
- 2008-04-21: DHCP credentials required, SQL SP2 references, ISA not installing on more than 4 cores, and IIS setting for Companyweb.
- 2008-08-11: Added the note that WSUS v2 should be synchronized prior to WSUS v3 being installed.
- 2009-08-26: Added the option to allow users to change their password in OWA.
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
*All Mac on SBS posts are posted on our in-house iMac via the Safari Web browser.