The big thing for us and what was our current Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) 2007 edition was the discovery of not being able to work with a Windows Vista installation that had a lost local admin password. The user had set things up so that once they were configured they did not need the admin account for any changes.
MDOP 2008 Download
Booting to ERD Commander 2005 (a part of MDOP 2007) to change that admin password led us to the message that ERD Commander could not find any supported operating systems!
The MDOP 2008 download is a compressed file that upon extraction we could see:
Prior to running the Recovery Tools setup, the following files will be needed:
ERD Commander 2005 plus two new files for 2008
- Install Debugging Tools for Windows 32-bit Version
- Install Debugging Tools for Windows 64-bit Version (note Itanium version too)
- Download Windows Symbol Packages (if required)
- Debugging Tools for Windows - Overview page
Here are some highlights from the install routine:
- A Windows Vista DVD will be required to create the image:
There are also a huge number of additional utilities included with Windows Vista Software Assurance. It is well worth the expense.
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
*All Mac on SBS posts are posted on our in-house iMac via the Safari Web browser.