Original posted to the SBS2K Yahoo Group. This list has been tweaked and updated a bit. :)
A quick overview of how to set up Remote Desktop Services and RD RemoteApps on an SBS network:
- Win2K8 R2 SP1 OS install
- Server drivers
- Windows Server Updates (we group 6-10 at a time).
- Windows Server Security Updates (again 6-10 at a time).
- Manufacturer’s Server Management.
- Configure management settings.
- Leave mode for later.
- We create an internal RDP file set to deploy to local user’s desktops.
- We also create an external RDP file set that includes RD Gateway setting.
- We customize each file name once created.
- C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\WebApp\RemoteAccess\RDPs
- Must be done from Windows Explorer on SBS.
- Example RWW/RWA URL: https://remote.domain.com/remote/rdps/winword.rdp
- Description: RemoteApp – Word
When users connect to RDS or RemoteApp they will get a certificate warning. Coach them to tick the "Don't bug me again" box near the bottom left of the window.
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book