Friday, 22 February 2013

Exchange 2013 Full Stop: MIME/Multipart/Mixed Message Scrambled Error

Wow, did we ever hit a full stop at 110MPH today. :P

Needless to say we have found out that Exchange 2013 does not like to receive PDF attachments from a copier/MFP/scanner.


The above snip is from an e-mail that shows the PDF attachment as a bunch of characters in the e-mail body itself that goes on and on and on.

As per the forum post apparently this will be fixed in the first Cumulative Rollup for Exchange 2013.

In the mean time we are scrambling to work on a workaround for those folks that are hitting this problem.

And, we may have found one:

The instructions are almost useless. Almost ...


We have an account set up, we went in as per the above instructions, and we set up the copier to use port 587 and encryption. Now on to get it going.

Copiers are never easy to work with. However, we will hopefully get them going this way until Microsoft releases the fix for this problem.

Philip Elder
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book

Chef de partie in the SMBKitchen
Find out more at

Windows Live Writer

No comments: