I did a bunch of searching on the Web, and all I could seemingly find was that I needed to recover the STS database, mount it somewhere else, and then go and get that fax.
That was it!
Given the amount of time involved with the recovery, I was to do it this weekend.
Low and behold, today I was on-site to work on a separate fax related issue. There were a few very specific companies that could not fax my client.
I swapped out the modem, a USRobotics external USB, and went through some diagnosis.
While working on that, I discovered the spot where MSFax parks the incoming faxes BEFORE they are routed to the Companweb site!
And, guess what I found! :D That deleted fax.
I must admit, I did not know that the incoming faxes were stored locally with a copy being forwarded on to the Companyweb site. I had assumed that the original was routed through with fax document touching the hard drive.
When troubleshooting incoming faxes, the folder above the inbox contains the necessary log files that one needs to look over to see just what may be going on with a troublesome incoming fax.
And, that is where the rest of my focus went!
My client will be happy on Monday! :D
Microsoft Small Business Specialists