We have a client that was having some issues connecting to their desktop via the Remote Web Workplace. Apparently the Connect button was missing (previous blog post).
Once we had realized that Firefox was being used instead of IE, we still ran into a struggle trying to get their remote desktop connection established.
First off, they were getting this error:
VBScript: Remote Desktop Connection
The Microsoft Terminal Services Client ActiveX control (also known as the Microsoft RDP Client Control) is either not available, or is not enabled. Fore more information about installing and enabling this ActiveX control, see the Microsoft TechNet Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=103719).
Now, the above screenshot is showing Internet Explorer 6 since that was the browser that was also installed on their machine when we started the troubleshooting process.
So, we had them run Microsoft Updates until every last update was installed. It took them a while.
Once finished, we had XP indicating Internet Explorer running version 7 with all of the updates applied.
We went back to RWW to try the connection again, but we still ended up with the same puzzling error.
A check in the IE Add-ons manager showed the following:
Microsoft RDP Client Control (redist) msrdp.ocx
Now, take note that the above screenshot was taken on an XP SP2 vanilla install with IE 6. We did not see an Update ActiveX button on the client’s machine. BTW, click on that button in this case, and no update is available!
In fact, when we downloaded the RDC 6.1 Client (KB 952155) from Microsoft’s site, it would not allow us to install it as we received a, “You already have the latest service pack installed so this update does not apply” error.
Indeed, Windows XP Service Pack 3 was installed on this particular machine and the new RDC comes with SP3.
Okay, so we try: Microsoft KB 951607: You cannot connect to a remote computer or start a remote application when you use Terminal Services Web Access or Remote Web Workspace on a Windows XP SP3-based or Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP1-based computer. Nothing applicable here either. Plus, we were trying to connect to the SBS 2008 RWW too.
The key to fixing the problem was found here: Browse Remote Web Workplace from Windows XP SP3 machine on the Technology on the Move blog.
We needed to run the following at the command line after making sure that all browser windows were closed:
Regsvr32 Mstscax.dll [Enter]
After a bit of a pause, a message popped up indicating that the DLL was correctly registered.
Check in the IE Add-ons manager and sure enough the file name has changed:
Microsoft Terminal Services Client Control (redist) mstscax.dll
Once we reconnected to their SBS 2008 RWW, we were able to successfully connect to their desktop.
We used CoPilot for our non-SBS based Remote Assistance needs. This particular client is in the U.S. on the West Coast, so we fired up a one-time session with CoPilot and worked through our troubleshooting process to the above successful conclusion.
One of the main reasons we have stuck with CoPilot is this blog post that has been around for a while on the company’s blog: Customer service as a competitive advantage. They get it.
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
*All Mac on SBS posts will not be written on a Mac until we replace our now missing iMac!