Okay, so yesterday turned out to be an 11th hour type of day as feedback was made to us MVPs that our beta bits could be extended by running the following steps.
To extend the expiry, please follow the directions below:
- Install WS08 R2 SP1 RC on the server by clicking here
- Logon on https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer with your connect credentials
- Click on Product keys (in the left hand side column)
- Click on Request a new product key
- Click on Get Key
- In Windows Home Server, open a command prompt
- Type “slmgr.vbs -ipk ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PQRST-UVWXY” (where ABCDE.. is your new key as requested above)
- Type “slmgr.vbs –ato”
- Reboot the server, and your beta timeframe has been extended. You can check this by opening up a command prompt and typing winver
We did not need to reboot after running step 8. When we ran the WinVer command in the command prompt before rebooting the expiry date had moved to March!
Our post yesterday:
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book