After migrating our SBS 2003 R2 domain to SBS v7 we cleaned out our Active Directory OU and GPO structure. Since we were anticipating the subsequent migration to SBS v7’s RTM bits (SBS 2011) we did not rebuild our standard OU and GPO structures.
One of the GPO setups that we do is to mandate UAC, Secure Desktop, prompt for admins, and credentials for Standard Users.
Now that we have finished migrating to SBS 2011 we have discovered that a couple of our Server Core installations running the Hyper-V role don’t have their DNS settings up to date. So, we need to verify and update any of our Core and Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 server’s DNS settings that needed it to point to the new SBS 2011 as we are running a solo DC in SBS at this time.
When we went to update the DNS settings we hit the following:
netsh interface ipv4 add dnsserver name="2" address=192.168.xx.xx index=2 [Enter]
The requested operation requires elevation.
A little bit of searching turned up the following blog post:
The second step to run Regedit shown in the above screenshot came from the blog post to test whether UAC was indeed causing the block.
The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
Well, since we have a mandated UAC structure in place via group policy post SBS 2011 migration, it is indeed to culprit.
So, We created a new OU for our Core servers (Windows SBSServers – Server Core)
Then linked a new GPO for that OU. The GPO settings to properly disable UAC in that GPO were found here:
We then moved all of our Core and Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 servers into that new OU and ran GPUpdate /Force to get the settings to take right away.
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book