We just set up a new workstation with Office 2010 Professional Technical Preview installed on it.
The workstation is SBS 2003 integrated with Windows Vista Business SP2 as the base operating system.
This is what Outlook 2010 looks like when it fires up for the first time on a system with a rather large mailbox:
Be prepared to wait for that little window to run through all of the folders in Outlook before Outlook itself will open.
Now, once everything was installed, activated, and happy we left the workstation alone overnight to allow the Windows Indexing service the time it needs to cache all of that stuff.
The next morning, this is what we found:
We put in the name of one of our clients looking for a specific e-mail. And, we get:
No matches found for “scott”.
Now, there should be lots of items found since we have no less that three client contacts that share that name as either their first or last name!
Manually sort our e-mail folder by name and we find:
Okay, so something is not hooking up in the search service.
When we look at the status of the Indexing service we see:
There are over 75,000 items seemingly indexed! That sure does not jibe with what is happening in Outlook though.
What we need to do is to reset the Index service so that whatever missing Outlook content gets re-indexed.
In Windows Vista or Windows 7 click Start –> Index [Enter].
Click the Advanced button and through the UAC.
Click the Restore Defaults button:
A warning will pop up:
Take note of any custom index locations in the initial Index service window as they will need to be added back after the reboot.
Click OK and reboot the system. After a couple of hours the Index service should have some positive results. It did in our case.
UPDATE 2011-08-03: The proper procedure is:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- ALT --> Folder Options
- Search Tab
- Restore Defaults
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book