Generally, it will take about 2-3 days post license transaction with Microsoft for the media to arrive at our client's site.
Obviously, it is our preference to have the correct key in place before activating the OS.
To change the product key if we have not activated the OS we do the following:
- Start --> Run --> %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a [Enter].
- Click on "Yes, I want to telephone a cust6omer service representative to activate Windows" NEXT.
- Click the "Change Product Key" button.
- Enter the new product key in the boxes.
- Click Update
- Click Remind me Later or close the activation window.
- Double click on the activation icon in the tray.
- Start --> Run --> Regedit [Enter]
- Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
- Right click on OOBETimer and Modify.
- Change any one digit to deactivate Windows.
If the server was already activated, it should indicate that it is activated when running msoobe.exe /a after the above steps.
- MS KB328874: How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a computer that is running Windows XP SP1 and later versions of Windows XP
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
*All Mac on SBS posts are posted on our in-house iMac via the Safari Web browser.