Monday 26 July 2010

SBS Migration Error: Exchange – The token supplied to the function is invalid 80090308

We are in the process of running an SBS 2003 R2 server and have run into this error:


Exchange System Manager

The token supplied to the function is invalid.

ID no: 80090308
Exchange System Manager

A search on the error led us to the following Microsoft Knowledgebase article:

The fix is to clear both check marks for SSL on the ExAdmin virtual directory in the source server’s IIS:


Once we closed and opened the SBS 2003 Console and attempted to run the Public Folders move again we hit the same error.

We are using a wildcard SSL certificate on our old SBS 2003 setup, so that may have some part in this problem.

After some further digging, we came up with the following:


  1. Open ADSIEdit.msc
  2. In the left side pane expand the Configuration container.
  3. Next expand CN=Configuration
  4. Then CN=Services
  5. CN=Microsoft Exchange
  6. CN=<your organization name here>
  7. CN=Administrative Groups
  8. CN=First Administrative Group <or it may be your original Exchange 2000 site name>
  9. CN=Servers
  10. CN=Protocols
  11. CN=HTTP
  12. CN=1
  13. Right Click on CN=Exadmin and choose Properties.
  14. Find the above indicated msExchSecureBindings setting and Remove any ports listed. In the above case we removed the 443 port.
  15. Click Apply and OK.
  16. Close and reopen the Exchange System Manager or SBS 2003 Console.
  17. Rerun the Public Folder move.

This second fix actually did the trick as we watched the PF move dialogue boxes fly by and eventually our source SBS 2003 PF looked like:


The second fix was found here by Jerry Zhao (MSFT) on April 13 at 0658Hrs:

Philip Elder
Microsoft Small Business Specialists
Co-Author: SBS 2008 Blueprint Book

*Our original iMac was stolen (previous blog post). We now have a new MacBook Pro courtesy of Vlad Mazek, owner of OWN.

Windows Live Writer


Unknown said...

That worked on my SBS2003 > Win2008-Exch2007Std migration, thanks!

ross said...

Thanks Philip,
Your MPECS blog is on the money again!

On a client SBS2003 setup the first step setting correct SSL level worked.

Glad I found this as last public folder update I made I spent a fair while on the commandline granting privs as a workaround to this error.


Anonymous said...

This worked on my migration: SBS2003 -> Windows 2008 R2/Exchange 2010. Thank you! Quick and easy.

Anonymous said...

Don't think you need adsiedit, if you perform iisreset on sbs after changing.